Skip to main content

My Scar Story


What comes to your mind when you see a scar? The story behind it right? Most people have scars; I do too, several actually. Scars could be big or small, raised or flat, new or old, caused by accident or may be self-inflicted. Bottom-line, scars have a story behind them. I have one on my left leg which I consider memorable. It is a small, raised scar caused by a knife stab. Yes a knife stabbed me there, that’s why I consider it memorable.

You see, for most people, when they hear about a knife stab, they immediately think of violence. Well in my case, it was peaceful. Now I know what you’re thinking, what the heck is a peaceful stab? Let me tell you the story.

I had a cousin who was staying with us temporarily (well, not too temporal but that is story for another day) while he sorted his accommodation out. He had a good job at the bank and was earning a really decent pay for a bachelor. Anyway, a fine day came that he decided he had saved enough, had gotten an apartment and was now ready to move out. Great news! We decided to help him move. We packed his things into different bags and carried them by hand to his new place (distance not too far I promise).

While we were on our way, he decided since it was getting dark, he should get some utensils he could start using. He bought some spoons, forks, and of course a knife. They were packaged in a nylon – very flimsy material and put in a bigger, slightly thicker polythene bag along with some other things. Not too long after we continued our journey, I felt a sharp yet dull pain in my leg, it’s really hard to explain but this was the exact sensation I felt. I looked down, only to see the knife gently going in and out of the injured spot apparently moving with each step I took.

The knife had pierced through the nylon and into my leg. The wonderful thing is it stayed focused on a small part, seemingly determined to create an adequate housing for itself there, not moving further, only deeper. The real pain began when I moved the bag away from my leg. Oh dear, the pain was sharp, as I continued walking it became both dull and sharp, made my leg feel heavy and even felt ticklish at some point, like it was mocking me. I bore it; cleaning it with a material I had in my hands and told no one. Not smart I know but that’s one of the reasons why it’s memorable.

I had a small but deep knife cut and the scar from it is still obvious till today. The story behind it made me realize that, we should not be so quick to judge a scar or the person because, the story we make up in our heads for it may be completely different from the real deal.
Do you have a scar?
What’s your scar story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020: Reflections

I had an idea of what my year in review would look like when I penned my goals. What I didn't envision was the performance 2020 was going to put up. The draft was in my head. I imagined ticking off items on my list, laughing and patting myself on the back for a job well done. Now, all I have are reflections. My thought process has changed, my perception on several issues altered and that is way more interesting than what I planned earlier. These are what I had in mind for 2020 1. Learn web development 2. Write more 3. Earn more from my side gig. 4. Create more streams of income. 5. Get my masters degree 6. Use Duolingo daily 7. Get a mentor especially for my coding. 8. Workout at least 10mins daily. 9. Get a great job. 10. Take at least 20 online courses. 11. Read at least 12 books this year 12. Apply for & get at least 1 foreign opportunity( internship or fellowship). 13. Be more aggressive about my goals. 14. Celebrate every win and step taken towards my goals. Did I achieve ...

How to Build Self Confidence

There are two main things that can have a profound effect on self confidence: Money Looks And a third one that many don't realize: HEALTH - both physical and mental. Look at ads selling beauty and fitness products. A lot of them offer products that promise to build or restore your confidence. It is usually said explicitly or heavily implied. That's how much of our self confidence we attach to our looks. Anti-acne ad... see the C-word written boldly What about money? It's self deceit to ignore the ways money improves our self confidence. Money-boosted confidence manifests in many ways: Walking boldly into a restaurant or store to order without questioning your pockets, Boldly approaching the woman of your dreams, Being choosy about projects to work on because money isn't a problem, etc. I mean, how many times have you imagined being able to do these things? The problem is, we don't want to derive our confidence from money and looks. Those are transient. What happens ...

Smart hospital: embracing technology for better healthcare delivery in Nigeria

A hospital admission (late last year) had me daydreaming on my bed; what a smart hospital would be like. Let me tell you a little about it. For starters, I didn't come with my card.  But there's a screenshot of it on our family WhatsApp group. Ideally without the card, our surname and/or card number should be enough information to be able to retrieve our file. Turns out I overrated their system.  I had to lay my very weak body on the hard seats in the waiting area, while they ran around looking for the file. I mean, I showed them the screenshot. But the information there, which is no different from if it was presented was apparently not enough. They did find it eventually but I was stunned at the lack of organization. They took my vital information and I waited to see the doctor. That was another delay. I didn't mind because I knew many hospitals were short on staff. What I observed however, was the back and forth to reach the doctor.  There was no effective means of corr...