Skip to main content

My Encounter with Someone in Authority



In the past two days, I've had a few run-ins with people in Authority ; you know, people that can make things happen, influence things and whatever else power can do for one. The differences though, shocked me. We have an idea or image of what leaders should, would or can be like but there are different kinds of figures. They are understandably human but I guess power may or may not change things. I have two particularly outstanding ones. I will call one the leader and the other, monsieur unsure.

THE LEADER

Physically - the leader was a little above average in height, dark skinned, clean shaven and bald. Like his Barber did an amazing job plus his whole head seemed to be dipped in olive oil. I took some time looking at it trying to see if that old joke about seeing your reflection on someone's head was true. Outfit well put together, simple but neat clothes consisting of nice sneakers, t-shirt and trousers.

Mannerism - His voice was firm but low. It's weird, a very low tone but oozed authority. It's a gift if you ask me. He gesticulated quite a bit but didn't make any form of body contact when he spoke. Used his eyes and eyebrows while communicating in a particularly fascinating way. He spoke intelligently.

Influence - oh, people listened! When he gave orders in that low tone, they took off immediately. Everyone was quiet when he spoke partly due to his low voice and well, because it was him. Even some other influential people there seemed fascinated by him. It was cool to watch. People were following him, they wanted his time.

Asslicking - none, I tell you. All those unnecessary and dramatic greetings weren't there. The form of address was "sir", nothing else. He was an intelligent man. So obviously, they would not be able to asslick. He would see through them.

Attitude of people around him- normal and respectful. They had regard for him. People sitting like I was were intrigued by him. No stories about his personal life, no gossip, nothing. Was disappointed at the lack of gist but still impressed anyway. They also seemed scared of him. In their defense, he had an intense stare ; like he was looking into your soul or gauging your intentions and the fact that he was a boss.

I totally understood what people meant when they say some people just have "it". This man did have "it". I call this one a leader because nothing about him seemed forced, people respect him, he had influence, was confident and knew what he was doing.

Meet monsieur unsure in the next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020: Reflections

I had an idea of what my year in review would look like when I penned my goals. What I didn't envision was the performance 2020 was going to put up. The draft was in my head. I imagined ticking off items on my list, laughing and patting myself on the back for a job well done. Now, all I have are reflections. My thought process has changed, my perception on several issues altered and that is way more interesting than what I planned earlier. These are what I had in mind for 2020 1. Learn web development 2. Write more 3. Earn more from my side gig. 4. Create more streams of income. 5. Get my masters degree 6. Use Duolingo daily 7. Get a mentor especially for my coding. 8. Workout at least 10mins daily. 9. Get a great job. 10. Take at least 20 online courses. 11. Read at least 12 books this year 12. Apply for & get at least 1 foreign opportunity( internship or fellowship). 13. Be more aggressive about my goals. 14. Celebrate every win and step taken towards my goals. Did I achieve ...

How to Build Self Confidence

There are two main things that can have a profound effect on self confidence: Money Looks And a third one that many don't realize: HEALTH - both physical and mental. Look at ads selling beauty and fitness products. A lot of them offer products that promise to build or restore your confidence. It is usually said explicitly or heavily implied. That's how much of our self confidence we attach to our looks. Anti-acne ad... see the C-word written boldly What about money? It's self deceit to ignore the ways money improves our self confidence. Money-boosted confidence manifests in many ways: Walking boldly into a restaurant or store to order without questioning your pockets, Boldly approaching the woman of your dreams, Being choosy about projects to work on because money isn't a problem, etc. I mean, how many times have you imagined being able to do these things? The problem is, we don't want to derive our confidence from money and looks. Those are transient. What happens ...

Smart hospital: embracing technology for better healthcare delivery in Nigeria

A hospital admission (late last year) had me daydreaming on my bed; what a smart hospital would be like. Let me tell you a little about it. For starters, I didn't come with my card.  But there's a screenshot of it on our family WhatsApp group. Ideally without the card, our surname and/or card number should be enough information to be able to retrieve our file. Turns out I overrated their system.  I had to lay my very weak body on the hard seats in the waiting area, while they ran around looking for the file. I mean, I showed them the screenshot. But the information there, which is no different from if it was presented was apparently not enough. They did find it eventually but I was stunned at the lack of organization. They took my vital information and I waited to see the doctor. That was another delay. I didn't mind because I knew many hospitals were short on staff. What I observed however, was the back and forth to reach the doctor.  There was no effective means of corr...